Saturday, May 2, 2015

Gluten Free, Vegan Sandwich Bread

Lately more people have been asking about the bread recipe I use for the boys.  My written version in my allergy-free notebook has seen so many revisions when I scanned it it was a bit embarrassing.  So I finally have gotten around to typing it out.  It is a bit odd the first time you make it, but trust me it gets easy--and is infinitely easier than many of the other recipes I've looked at or tried to make.  Like most breads, humidity can effect it but it always tastes good.  It just won't rise as high on a humid/raining day.  
It also freezes super well. I usually make a double batch which yields me 4 loaves to freeze at a time. I have lately also started prepping and measuring all the first set of the dry ingredients for four full recipes, two to make and two to freeze.  One batch each into my two bowls for my stand mixer (my glass bowl and then my metal bowl, love the glass bowl), and then an additional two batches into two extra tupperwares that I then freeze--just omit the yeast from these batches and write yourself a note on the top of each tupperware to add it when you mix it later.  So it ends up that I only have to do the messy measuring every other time I run out.  Which is super convenient for me.  Just let them come down to room temperature (like I mention in the recipe for all your flours since they have to be stored cold) before mixing.  It helps them come out consistent each time you make it.  Took me a while to figure that out.  Duh. 

Leave me a note if you need help, but hopefully it works for you as well as it's been working for us for almost 2 years now!

Gluten Free, Corn Free, Egg Free Sandwich Bread

Adapted from here
makes 2 loaves

1 1/3 c Brown Rice Flour
1 1/3 c Potato Starch
1 1/3 c Tapioca Starch
1 Tbsp Sorghum Flour
1 Tbsp Egg Replacer (here is the corn free version I make or you can buy it)
2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Xanthan Gum
2 1/2 tsp Yeast

1/4 c Butter, melted
1 c Boiling Water
1 c Dairy-Free Milk
2 Tbsp Sugar (or honey for non-vegan)
2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
4 1/2 tsp of Egg Replacer mixed with 6 Tbsp Boiling Water

In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix all the dry ingredients until well incorporated.  If your flours were stored in the fridge/freezer, allow them to come down to room temperature (VERY important).  I boil my hot water kettle and pour my 6 Tablespoons of water into the egg replacer and combine, then pour the cup of water into my milk (to make it warm and perfect to help the yeast).  Add your apple cider vinegar to the milk/water mixture.  Pour the butter, liquid, sugar/honey, and egg replacer mixture into your dry ingredients and turn your mixer on low.  Scrape the bowl down a few times, then crank it up to medium-high for 6 minutes.  It will be moving fluidly and well combined.  

Grease two bread pans.  Using a wet hand, divide the dough into each pan.  Re-wetting your hand, smooth the tops and then lightly tap the pans to release any large air holes.  Place in a warm, dark place for at least an hour to rise.  

Preheat oven to 375.  Bake the loaves in the center of your oven, rotating and turning half way through, for 50-60 minutes.  Remove the loaves from their pans and place back in the oven for an additional 15 minutes.  Immediately remove and place on wire racks to cool OVERNIGHT.  This will allow them to cool completely and the crusts to be dry on every surface.  Slice and store in ziplock bags in your freezer for easy toasting.

NOTE: I have also used my French bread pans to make French bread out of this for garlic bread, crostini, that kind of thing—super great there too if you have a French bread pan.

TIP: Do not discard the heels, I cut them, allow them to "stale" a bit in the toaster on low heat, then pop them in the food processor to make gluten free, egg free, corn free bread crumbs. I store them in a jar in the freezer for meatloaf and shake-n-bake. 


Post a Comment