Thursday, December 18, 2014

Dairy Free Caramel Apple Dip

Update 12/21/2014: I made this tonight with 3 Tbsp arrowroot powder and split 1/2c sugar and 1/2c brown sugar. It was perfect and the color was more caramel-like. So recipe update from the original is below! 

Confession: I'm not a chocolate person. However, before you threaten to have me excommunicated, I could stab a B for good caramel. Those ones in the plastic wrapper you are supposed to use for baking? I could eat the whole bag. My mom couldn't keep them in the house. And making your own often involved recipes with the words "candy thermometer", "soft ball stage", and the like. That is ridiculous. No one has time for that. 

Sooooooo..... I cried inside at parties with that wonderfully chemical laden caramel dip concoction was served alongside crip apples.  

I found a few recipes for dairy free or vegan caramel.  Still with the crazy thermometer. Ok, I gave up. Then I found and started with this recipe on pintrest. But, if you know me, you know I'm completely incapable of leaving well-enough alone. It's against my DNA. Seemed too easy.

And maybe it should be harder because Holy-Baby-Jesus-in-a-manger it's wonderful.  It isn't dark like standard caramel (she added a touch of molasses and I'm sure that would have darkened it up). But the taste is spot-on. I second guessed and added closer to 4 Tbsp of arrowroot powder and it thickened up a lot once cooled, but it's still amazing. So just be aware it won't seem thick enough for dip until it's cooled. But straight out of the pan would be divine on ice cream.

So here you go. 



Dairy Free Caramel Dip

1/2 C Butter
1/2 C White Sugar
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C Dairy-Free Creamer*
2-3 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder (or corn starch if not corn-free)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Ground Ginger
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1-2 Tbsp Maple Syrup (I used closer to one)
Juice from one small Lemon (approx. 2 Tbsp)
1 tsp Molasses (optional, mostly for color)

Whisk arrowroot into cream until dissolved. Melt butter and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat until bubbly. Add cream mixture and all remaining ingredients, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. 

Continuing to stir, allow mixture to lightly bubble until it thickens and starts to become fragrant.  Mixture will darken slightly.  Remove from heat and pour into your serving bowl. 

Allow to cool and refrigerate if serving as dip for fruit, but can be served hot. Mixture will thicken greatly once it cools.

Post a Comment