Saturday, November 23, 2013

Gluten Free Pie Crust

From here, great Julia Child quote

A few times recently I have sent the original link to the pie crust recipe I found and now make exclusively, but I have to include so many of my alterations it's a little embarrassing.  So here is the original recipe from King Arthur Flour but typed below is where it has ended up and never once has it failed me, torn, caused immense cursing, or made me even glance at another pie crust recipe.  It rolls out so incredibly easy, even if we weren't gluten free I would keep making it! Plus you make it in the food processor. Winning!

Gluten Free Pie Crust

2 1/2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour (recipe follows)
1 tsp Xanthan Gum
1 tsp Salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 Tbsp) Cold Butter, cubed
2 Tbsp Honey
2 Eggs (or equivalent of egg replacer mix)
2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar

In a large food processor add dry ingredients and pulse to combine.  Add cubed butter and pulse until crumbly then add honey, vinegar, and egg replacement or egg (whichever you are using).  Mix until a ball forms, if it is still a little crumbly add cold water a tsp at a time.  Wrap in Saran Wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.  Divide dough in half and roll out between two pieces of wax paper.  Makes two crusts. 

Note: I have often made this a couple days in advance and left refrigerated with excellent results. I have also rolled it out, put it in pans, and frozen for use later; just thaw completely before adding your filling. 


Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
3 cups Brown Rice Flour
1 cup Potato Starch
1/2 cup Tapioca Starch
Post a Comment