Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Gluten Free Pancakes: Updated


UPDATE 10/17/2013: After experimenting with the recipe some more I found an easy solution to the lack of egg-based fluff in these pancakes. Before I start mixing the flours I pour about 2 cups of almond milk into my measuring cup and add a splash of apple cider vinegar and mix it. This, for all intensive purposes, makes "buttermilk" from your almond milk--giving them that extra lift! Perfect! I'd say it sits, on average, for about 5 minutes to reach full faux-buttermilk. The recipe has been edited to reflect my awesome accidental discovery!

Gluten Free Hearty Pancakes

1/2 cup GF AP Flour
1/2 cup Almond Flour 
1/2 cup Potato Starch
1/4 cup Sorghum Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Xanthum Gum
Dash salt

2 Tbsp Melted Butter
2 tsp Honey
Approximately 2 cups Vanilla Almond Milk
1-2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Large Banana

Mix all dry ingredients together really well with wire whisk. A personal preference about the almond flour: I just put almonds in my food processor, I like it a little "chunky" and not smooth like the store bought almond flour. Begin with 1/2 cup of milk, honey and butter, and whisk into dry ingredients.  Continue adding milk until the batter reaches pancake consistency, I tend to err on the side of too thick until making the first pancake.  You can always add more, but can't take away!

Using your whisk, mash banana into batter until well broken up and combined.  Heat your non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.  Spray your pan with non-stick spray and cook pancakes.  GF pancakes tend to take a bit longer and need those tell-tale bubbles throughout most of the pancake before they're ready.  You will also have to spray the pan after every pancake, another difference.  

Note: the reason I don't put specific measurements on the milk is because I never use the same amount, and I've encountered this with all the GF pancake and waffle recipes I've tried and used.  I just like the texture of these flour combinations the best.  It tastes the most like a light grain pancake because the great bite the almond flour gives it.  

And just in case you want the GF AP Flour mix I use:

3 cups Brown Rice Flour
1 cup Potato Starch
1/2 cup Tapioca starch
Post a Comment