Saturday, January 12, 2013

Chorizo and Kale Pot Pie

So we get Kale regularly in our produce co-op and.... I'm not a fan.  The taste is too bitter. I've tried a whole host of recipes and meh.  But we get it so often and in such large quantities I just have to figure out how to cook it so we like it.  I found a chorizo and kale frittata recipe that sounded good but Lloyd can't have eggs, and this swiss chard recipe gave me a great idea for a "pot pie" if you will.  It was a huge hit at Friday night dinner with the in-laws.  We all had two pieces. Nothing was left. 

Also, this Crockpot Ham and Potato Soup was SUPER good.  We all had multiple bowls. I made it dairy free and you wouldn't miss the milk.  So I used the leftover soup in here and I'd highly recommend it, plus then you have a two-night dinner plan and use for left-overs.

Gosh this was good.  I'm going to have to make it next time we get Kale for sure.  It was that tasty. So I had to write it down in case I forgot.  And I figured I'd share. I lied, there was one piece left. I had it for lunch. And snapped a quick photo of the offending veggi.

Chorizo and Kale Pot Pie

1 (Full) Pie Crust (Recipe Follows)
1 Onion, Finely Chopped
1 Bunch Fresh Kale (Organic is always best for leafy greens), Removed from Stems and Chopped
1 Tsp Chopped Garlic
5 Oz. Chorizo (approx 1/2 a roll of the grocery store variety) 
2 Cups of Left-Over Ham and Potato Soup
or
2 Cups Milk (or Unsweetened Original Almond Milk)
5 Tbsp Butter
5 Tbsp Wheat Flour

In a large pan over medium-high heat, saute onion and chorizo together (do not add oil or butter to pan, the chorizo will provide all the fat you need--trust me).  Depending on how fatty your chorizo is, it might take a while for the fat to "cook-off" the actual meat--do not drain fat.  Add the chopped garlic and stir, then add the chopped kale.  You'll have to add the kale in portions (it took me about 3 portions to get it all in without half of it committing mutiny and going overboard), letting it wilt before adding the next portion until all added.  Reduce heat to medium-low once beginning to all wilt.  Stirring regularly. 

If you're not using left-over soup like lazy-me, melt the butter in a small sauce pan.  Add the flour, whisk to combine.  Add milk slowly and stir continually until the mixture thickens and begins to boil.  Do not let it get to a rolling boil or it will curdle and get nasty. 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Add soup/sauce to pan once kale leaves are beginning to darken and cook (I'd start with at least a cup  of the liquid, and see how it looks before you add more. This part is more personal preference).  Continue to stir the mixture until everything is well combined and bubbling around the edges, stirring occasionally.  Let cook for 5-10 minutes on low.  This is usually when I make my pie crust and get it ready. 

Add mixture to pie crust, add top crust, cutting slits in the center to allow steam to escape.  Cook at 350 for 20-30 minutes, until bubbly and crust is beginning to brown.  Allow to cool about 5 minutes before cutting and serving. 

Optional: Serve with fresh parmigiana cheese.  Or, if you're like Coach, "fresh" Tabasco  The extra potatoes and ham from the soup was also a nice addition.  But just a suggestion.

Pie Crust 

(I hate making pie crust, I have a devil of a time doing it, so no judgement if you buy the pre-made kind or use your favorite recipe. This is the one my mom used and I hate making it.)

2 Cups Flour
1/2 Cup Oil
1/4 Cup Milk

Combine ingredients, divide in half and roll out each crust between two pieces of wax paper.  Good luck.  
Post a Comment