Saturday, January 14, 2012

Baby Friendly Waffles

So one of the many things I learned when reading Baby Led Weaning is you can pretty much feed a baby anything as long as you're conscious of what's in it and it's the right size.  Give or take.  Even bread, but the problem with all commercially available breads is the salt.  So you're not supposed to give them much because it can really harm their kidneys.  And "supposedly" salt is necessary in baking.  Only I've been eliminating it lately in my moms recipe's with no problems, and even some online baking recipes with unchanged results in the finished product.  

So Coach made he and I waffles this morning using a fancy mix we had, but a little bulb went off in my head: my mom's waffle recipe doesn't contain much salt. I could probably alter it and take out the oil and sugar too.  So we made up a batch of our "Baby Friendly Waffles"  and not only did they turn out the same (woah), they tasted pretty damn good and pretty close to the salted/sugared/fatty originals.  Blowing our tiny parental minds.  So here's our baby and kid friendly no salt, no sugar, no oil waffles:

1 3/4 cup of flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c apple sauce (homemade or store bought, doesn't really matter)
1 banana (mashed)
3 eggs
1 1/2 c milk

Mix the dry ingredients and then add the wet.  I mashed the banana in while mixing with a whisk instead of pre-mashing.  I used a ripe/over-ripe banana so it was really soft. Cook, serve, and enjoy your kiddo stuffing their face with healthy waffles (and eat some yourself).

Post a Comment