Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Birth Story

It's taken me a lot of time and thought to put this together.  I was nervous about posting it and I've left some of my negative feelings out, but if you know me you can tell where I'd probably get irritated and toned it down.  I'm finally posting it because exactly a year ago today I took that pregnancy test and it came back positive. So it seemed time.  Enjoy. :)

On Monday, June 13th we had an appointment with Dr. Wiley to make sure everything was still ok. We had a sonogram and stress test, which we passed but at 40 weeks and 5 days I was miserable and ready to be induced. I had been having contractions on and off for weeks and had lost faith in my body’s ability to start and finish labor on its own without some encouragement. Plus the sonogram was measuring Lloyd at 8 pounds 6 ounces, plus or minus 8 ounces—so we were wary to let him keep baking in there knowing they gain an ounce a day. We scheduled the induction for the following morning at 7 am.

Coach and I got to the hospital a little after 7, checked in, got our room, and met our amazing day nurse Dawn. She got me all hooked up to the pitocin at about 7:45 and we waited for Dr. Wiley to arrive to break my water. She showed up around 9 and once she broke my water the contractions starting picking up intensity. At 11 the contractions started getting really strong, by 11:15 I was just hoping to make it to 1pm when Dr. Wiley came back to check my progress, I didn't want the epidural to stall my progress. Right before Noon I was in so much pain I could barely breathe, couldn’t talk, and knew I was going to need the epidural as soon as they could give it to me. We called the nurses’ station and the anesthesiologist showed up in record time (he was right down the hall getting ready to do a c-section). Coach was told he couldn’t watch or hold my hand; he had to sit on the couch which was all the way across the room. He was not happy about this because he wanted to watch and see the procedure, and I wanted him to hold my hand but oh well. I just wanted the man to finish and get some relief! I don’t know why, but getting the epidural was almost (in itself) more painful than the contractions. I was crying through the whole procedure and then had to wait another 15 minutes for it to kick in. But once it did, oh thank goodness. It was great.

 Dr. Wiley came in after lunch and I was over half way dilated and almost completely effaced. Coach’s parents came around lunch time and my sister showed up a little later. More people showed up and although they just stopped by to say a “quick hello” they stayed, and our room turned into a zoo. I was just trying to rest (pretty hard when everyone else has somehow forgotten you’re in labor). They kept increasing the pitocin and things were going well. Around dinnertime I was completely effaced and 8 centimeters, with only 2 more to go. Coach was taking bets on when Lloyd would arrive, how big he would be, and how long he would be. I got really nauseated and threw up, which finally caused everyone to leave the room but Coach and my sister for the rest of the night. Finally some peace and quiet!

At about 10 P.M., the doctor was getting concerned I wasn’t progressing any more. This made me really nervous because we would have to have a c-section, which I did not want at all. A little later my epidural started to wear off and I was in an extraordinary amount of pain very quickly. The medicine had run out and it took the anesthesiologist FOREVER to come and change it. Even after they put the new bag of medicine in they had to come back and give me a boost because it wasn’t taking and I was back to crying—I was so ready for Lloyd to come out. Because of the pain I started throwing up again, which made the pain so much worse—especially since you cannot move when you have an epidural and your legs and lower body are numb so you’re just leaning over at a weird angle and someone has to hold the barf bag for you pretty much. Awful. Also, an epidural can make you really itchy so I got some Benadryl to help relieve the itchiness. I managed to take a nap for about an hour after they gave me the medicine at midnight.

When I woke up our nighttime nurse checked me again and I was fully dilated! I was ready to start pushing! Dr. Wiley came by and I pushed a few times with the nurse while she went to check her other patients. I could feel Lloyd pushing down and getting closer and closer to being here. So with every contraction I had to push or it was very uncomfortable and sometimes painful if I didn’t. Lloyd was slowly coming and Dr. Wiley left the room again to check another patient. While she was gone I threw up again and it was excruciating. But when she came back, Lloyd was crowning! I pushed for another few minutes that flew by (Coach says it was about 30 minutes but it felt much shorter) and everyone looked at me telling me he would be here with the next set of pushes. I’ve never worked so hard or with such determination in my whole life. On the 3rd push his head came out and Coach and I were looking at each other with such intensity, Caitlin was about to come out of her skin she was so excited to see him, and the Doctor told me she needed one more push so he could be here. All of a sudden I felt a huge relief and a big gush, and I could see his little body squirming in Dr. Wiley’s arms. It took him a few (breathless, on both our parts) seconds and I heard him cry. It was so quiet at first, but his arms and legs were failing all over the place.

They put him on my belly and started rubbing him off and clamped his belly button. Coach was handed the scissors and cut the umbilical cord—he was so nervous to do it wrong.

Then they pulled my gown down on one side and slid his little body onto my skin to keep him warm. All his crying stopped and mine started, he was so precious. His cheeks, hair, little hands grasping at everything, he was here! I kept saying “oh my gosh” over and over again, and those first few minutes were so overwhelming and didn’t feel real for a very long time.

They took him over to the warmer to get his footprints, measure and weigh him, and make sure he was doing great. Which he was (he got perfect results on both his apgar tests). Coach and my sister were with him the whole time taking photos and counting all his fingers and toes while Dr. Wiley fixed me up (I was VERY lucky and had minimal problems, only needing 3 stitches). When they announced how much he weighed I think everyone’s eyes got wide, no one thought he’d be that big! 9 pounds and 2 ounces! What a chunky little boy! He already had massive rolls! When the nurses were done, Lloyd was wrapped up like a little burrito and Coach held him for the first time. I have never seen him so happy and so awestruck. He was so afraid he was holding Lloyd wrong or doing anything incorrectly, but I couldn’t take my eyes off either of my beautiful men. For 9 months I had been waiting to see Coach hold his child in his arms and it was here—and it was 100 times more beautiful than I could have imagined. We had our first family hugs and both of us couldn’t take our eyes off Lloyd, our beautiful son.

Post a Comment