Saturday, September 17, 2011

Developmental Book Overload

Holy baby book overload batman!  There are so many out there!  I feel like I don't know anything about what Lloyd should be doing, but somehow he seems to be following all the developmental timeline's I've read (although we, of course, think he's a genius).  But after he was born and started being fussy and I couldn't figure out why or how to appease him.  There are a handful of really helpful books I have and I've just added a new little one that is on it's way from Amazon.

  • I bought The Wonder Weeks, my all time favorite book so far. It's easy, it's helpful, it made me feel like less of a failure.  
  • I bought Babies First Skills, which is also helpful for entertaining your little blob when they can't do much and you've run out of stupid songs to sing them (although the way the exercises are laid out is beyond annoying).
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion has been really really helpful for boobie related questions.  I wish I had read it before having Lloyd because I haven't been able to read it cover-to-cover, but I have used it as my "go-to" question and answer (aka when I had a plugged duct, what meds I can take and won't get in the milk, etc.).
  • Your Baby's First Year Week by Week, I loved the Pregnancy Week by Week so I picked it up at Half Priced Books for about $3. I haven't really read it because I get the BabyCenter emails and they're shorter, easier to read, and cover the same junk.
And I never though I'd make it through breastfeeding.  People tell you the worst horror stories!  But, holy jeeze, it's been 3 months already!  I'm halfway to highchair!  And, uh, no surprise I have no idea on how to start the foods! I've heard a lot about Baby Led Weaning and how people either wish they'd done it, or have done it.  And the idea of not having to puree everything for a baby that is already a huge food whore, just sounds awesome because it doesn't cause too much time between pot and table.  I'd already had plans to give him our food in mush form, but it sounds like I can do this without the food processor.  So I was intrigued.  I've got 3 months before we are there, yes, but it would probably take me that long to read this book!  So I figured it'll be my new nightstand friend.  Bye-bye trashy novels for a little while. I'm excited to watch Lloyd get food all over himself. I think it'll be hysterical!  But I need to start on fixing his highchair.  3 months to fix it sounds do-able.  :)  

Motherhood makes you feel like an absolute idiot.  
Post a Comment