Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Coffee and Chicory

Don't know what Chicory is? Take a look.  I grew up on this stuff.  It's stronger, but I remember it being smoother.  I didn't even realize how smooth until starbucks came out and I tried it and almost hurled.  Beans are burned, it's bitter, and their coffee is not smooth.  Not a fan, sorry.  I'm used to a good cafe au lait--coffee and chicory with warm milk.  My parents always had cold brew coffee in the house and so it was easy and convenient--pour as much as you want (strong, weak, it's up to you) and then hot water over the rest. It stays in a container in the back of the fridge for a long time.  My mom had this ancient brew dealie and a glass container that was specific to the cold brew coffee that was always in the fridge.  I never thought twice about it until I had my first apartment and wanted my own drip system--mom and I looked with no success.  So I got a small, cheap, regular coffee maker. It just doesn't taste the same.  

A friend shared this link today and I nearly jumped out of my skin. Then I immediately got onto Amazon and found one, bought it, and cannot wait for it to be here.  Yay!! How excited am I to go buy one of my favorite coffee and chicory brands, make some cold drip, have my own distinctive jar in the fridge, and only need hot water when I want a cup--what a luxury! Especially with a 2 week old! woooohooooo!!

Maybe it's a weird thing to be excited about, but it's nostalgic and really simple.  And that it reminds me of Saturday morning breakfasts with my Dad as well as weekday moments with my Mom as a teen doesn't hurt. A little reminiscent of simpler times.  I can't wait to raise my cup and enjoy it's smoothness once again after so many years. Ah the memories...
Post a Comment