Monday, May 30, 2011

Not Exactly What We Had Planned

All day Saturday I'd had contractions about 20 minutes apart.  But nothing to write home about.  Slept well. Etc. Etc.  Sunday, wasn't really noticing them as much but was drinking lots of water to make sure I stayed hydrated through the day. Went to church, went home and changed, then went to Coach's brother's house for his birthday celebration.  They boiled crawfish.  My sister and her husband were there, and he left today to drive up to Ft. Lewis (she'll join him at Ft. Sill in September).  It was nice, we ate, were laughing, I was huge. The regular.  Had like 3 painful contractions in about 40 minutes and decided we needed to go home and we got outta there.  Wasn't feeling too bad, took a long shower to cool down.  

We played yatzee on the Wii for a while and were laughing. I was still drinking water because I've been down that road with dehydration making contractions worse.  Decided to go to bed when I couldn't keep my eyes open at 10 and they weren't really picking up steadily (went from 20 minutes to 7-11 minutes apart, but nothing consistent).  Laid down and all of a sudden were piggybacking.  It felt like my uterus was stuck in the "on" position.  Coach ran me a bath.  It got worse.  Then I proceeded to practically projectile vomit everything I've ever eaten throughout this pregnancy.  And dry heave. All during these back-to-back contractions.  When I finally stopped and started shaking from the fluid loss Coach was putting the car seat, bags, and pillows in the car and hoisting me out of the tub. 

He brought me a poweraid but I could barely keep it down.  Got to the hospital, checked into L&D, and the ladies at the desk were so freaking nice.  I'd been so scared all afternoon and evening of a false alarm but I was still in so much pain that I didn't care and they were just wonderful.  Was immediately put into a room, changed into a sexy gown, and hooked up to the monitors.  
 My awesome nurse, Ashley (good name), started asking me the 800 questions they have to ask before you even get started.  Normal doctor stuff x100, and this is considering I'd already preregistered so I skipped a whole slew when the ladies at the desk checked me in and got me a room.  All this time the contractions are still happening, bam bam bam no break.  Coach is cracking jokes.  She leaves to call the doctor and see what  she wants to do, mostly because the throwing up could be causing them to piggyback and we don't know if it's real labor or early labor because I'm dehydrated big time by this point. I smiled somehow:
Doc wants me hooked up to an IV to get fluids, give me a good dose of Zofran (hallelujah, best news all night) and we'll reevaluate in an hour.  If they go away, we'll know it's not the real deal--if they don't, we'll go from there kinda deal.  Hour comes and goes.  2 come and go.  Still having contractions, although they finally slowed down to about the 5-7 minutes I'd been having before we "went to bed" almost 3 hours prior.  It's almost 3.  She pushes the rest of the fluids, checks me again (still haven't dilated any more than when I came in, which is the same amount as I was at my doctors appointment on wednesday), and she calls the doctor back at about 3/3:30.  She hangs another bag of fluid because I need it and it's faster than drinking it and tells me to try and sleep while this one goes in so they can let me go home unless they start to pick up again.  

they don't.  They return to the tolerable discomfort that has been present for the past 3 days.  We get discharged at 6am.  Coach is exhausted but still cheery and cracking horrible jokes as always and I feel like a run over animal on the highway.  I'm sore everywhere, I'm so tired I feel sick, I still feel nauseated despite the zofran, and I'm a bit cold from all the IV fluids.  We waddle away and the lovely ladies at the desk make "oh NO!" noises as we walk back out with our bags.  

We got donuts and more poweraid on the way home.  Then we slept until noon.  And pretty much resembled lazy vegetables all day.  Or these guys:
Still having contractions every 20-30 minutes.  Nothing to write home about.  But oh well. Not sure how much that stupid visit to L&D will cost me, but I was in so much pain in such a short period of time that it was worth it.  And considering how quickly pushing all that fluid relieved it--it was the right thing to do even if it was demoralizing having to walk out of the hospital without our baby in our arms.  To wait.... still wait for his arrival.

What a holiday it was.  Now to bed.  Hopefully for a restful night.  
Post a Comment