Monday, April 18, 2011

Labor/Delivery Bag

So yes, it is that time! Hard to believe.  Our last Lamaze class is Thursday and it's our final homework: bring your packed labor bag (which is different than your postpartum suitcase).  I've been dropping things into my overnight bag for weeks now (toothbrushes, face wash, mouth wash samples, etc.) and it has been hanging right next to my vanity in the bathroom.  Last night we went to the grocery store and I had Coach pick out a bunch of snacks/food that he would like in the labor bag--boy did we end up with a lot of junk amid those power bars.  He and my sister Caitlin will be in the delivery room with me and they both get cranky when hungry, so whatever they want is getting packed for L&D.  Here's what we packed (don't laugh):
  1. Snickers x2 (Coach, when asked, this is the only thing he though of instantly. So we got them)
  2. Twizzlers (Caitlin)
  3. Dried Cranberries, Apricots, and Apples (both love these dried fruits, so we got a bag of each)
  4. Fruit Roll Ups (nostalgia, and funny purchase on my part for Caitiln)
  5. Gushers (you remember these? I had a coupon and couldn't help myself)
  6. Kashi bars (had these in the pantry)
  7. Propel individual water mixes 
I'm sure we'll add to the stockpile, but that was what he wanted.  The last thing I want is cranky coaches!  I thought about getting some poprocks or something that would make both Caitlin and Coach giggle, so maybe I will.  We're quirky people, why not bring quirky snacks?  I thought about bringing something random like Catchphrase to play because all 3 of us kill at that game and it'd definitely be diverting and funny. Plus it's small so it wouldn't take up that much space if we didn't use it.  Maybe I'm being too much of a spaz.

They gave us a list during Lamaze for what to pack but I feel like it didn't have everything and it's kind of lame, so I looked online and the choices for printable packing lists are practically non-existent which surprised me. 
So I kind of packed from all of them and used each list as a guideline. I've been collecting all our near empty bottles of toiletries and instead of using them until they're gone, I put them in the bag so we just dispose of them at the hospital when we leave (yes, I'm a genius). Also, ask your dentist for extra mouth wash and toothpaste samples, if you tell them why they'll gladly also fork over extra toothbrushes (mine did! and they gave me the moisturizing mouthwash for use during labor since your mouth can get dry--instead of just giving me regular mouthwash. smart people there!). In my labor bag I have:
  • iPod & headphones
  • Lotion
  • Mouthwash, both of our toothbrushes and mini toothbrush
  • Contact lense solution and case, and extra glasses
  • Fuzzy socks
  • Tennis balls (for massage)
  • Hair ties and hair bands
  • Camera battery charger
  • Pillow case (the pillows are in the truck of the car)
  • Face wash
  • Small thing of Vaseline (I use it for lip balm and makeup removal)
  • Old flip flops
  • Robe
  • Snacks
  • Change and $1 bills
  • Notes that I've made for myself and Coach (reminders for what to ask for)
Delivery bag is being packed, but here's what we have so far:
  • Shampoo/Conditioner (full size, I hate those mini ones)
  • Body Wash
  • Small Luffa (to toss when we leave, I have drawers of them from "bonus" pack body wash things)
  • Hair Gel
  • Makeup bag (just the basics)
  • Undies (one's I don't mind throwing away if necessary, if I use them at all)
  • Nursing Bras
  • Receiving Blanket
  • Boxer-Briefs, Gym Shorts, and extra T-shirts for Coach
  • Razor and Shaving cream
  • My old mouth guard (in case we forget to grab my current one)
Obviously the big things we are missing are:
  • Going home outfit for baby
  • Going home outfit for me
But I feel like we have a good start.  7 weeks! eek!!! And the baby shower Saturday was insane, oh my gosh.  I'll post about it when I get the photos from my mother in law.  I am in awe.  We are almost all set! wow!
Post a Comment