Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pot Pie Addiction

I jacked the top crust up, the other was much prettier. but it tastes damn good.
I'm having a not-so-minor homemade pot pie addiction.  I had a bunch of lamb left over from a loin I made.  Too much for leftovers.  I made one pie on Monday.  It's gone.  I made another tonight before class.  I could eat a quarter of it. For some reason, my whole "I'm full" mechanism is broken--I could eat everything in site and still  not feel full. I do, however, have constant all day heartburn that radiates into my toes.  New medicine is being tried tonight. Holy jeeze. Also, I'm obsessed with my pie plate with cover. AWESOME and handy.

So I haven't posted a recipe in a while.  Here's my momma's pot pie. You can use chicken, obviously I used lamb and it's AWESOME.

Pie Crust (makes 2 crusts, enough for one pie):
2 cup flour
1pinch salt
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup milk

Mix together, roll out between wax paper.  

Filling:
6 Tbsp Butter
1 small onion
minced garlic
1/2 cup flour
3 cup chicken stock
10oz frozen vegetables (I use the pea/carrot mix and half a can of corn, it works)
Meat from 1 cooked chicken (or 4-5 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts)

Melt butter in a large skillet, add onion and garlic and saute until see-through.  mix in flour to make a light roux.  Add chicken stock, bring to bubbly.  Add vegetables and meat and heat until cooked through.  

Heat oven to 425 and place bottom shell of pie crust in pie plate and pre-bake while it's preheating for just a few minutes.  Add the filling, add the top crust.  Crimp the sides and vent in the center.  Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until crust is golden.  Remove and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
Post a Comment