Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Centerpieces

I already got the vases for this at Ross (love that store) for a huge discount, and will be using them to decorate my new home after mine sells (soon! hopefully... apparently Gay men love my house, which makes me feel good. they're picky! haha). so they won't just get tossed or waste money on renting vases (in twitterspeak #hugemoneysuck).

Test drove fake flowers, they failed miserably. But with 10 tables, and maybe 4 more for cake table, etc, we won't need that many flowers. I'm only having the 2 arrangesments on the alter, which will make it to the reception (I need to delegate who will do that btw), I think 20 flower stems is not too expensive. We'll see.








orchids held down by pebbles. ?

from some blog that to the last question I say "boo on you".
What types of flowers can be used in submerged centerpieces?
The short answer is: Any! However, some flowers work much better than others. My favorite flowers to use are orchids, roses, hydrangeas, calla lilies and tulips. Orchids work beautifully to fill the space in a tall vase. Roses always seem to magnify about ten times their size underwater and it is a very unique effect. Hydrangeas fill out the space in a short wide vase and even look beautiful when placed in a vase that is a bit too small in diameter. Calla lilies and tulips are perhaps my favorites because they can be twisted, curved and intertwined every which way to create a piece of floral art.

There are only a few flowers that I do not like to use and they are flowers with lots of pollen or those with delicate, paper thin petals. The pollen filled flowers like lilies can cloud the water (though with lilies, you can carefully remove the pollen). Paper thin petals like those of anemones can close up under the pressure of the water.

It seems simple, right? Can't I make my own submerged centerpieces for my wedding?
I wouldn't wish this on any bride for her wedding day! Submerged arrangements must be constructed on site and often at the last minute. Most of the cost of submerged arrangements (see next question) is in labor and for a good reason. They are not easy and are often quite messy to set up. There is also an issue of transportation. Vases and stones can get quite bulky and heavy and if you don't have access to a van, you will probably spend a good part of your wedding day loading, transporting and unloading the materials.


Post a Comment